- Created: Tuesday, 19 September 2023 11:02
By KEVIN HASKIN
Musing at the mid-month:
• All of us who wanted Chris Jones to fade away during his holdout learned something as the Chiefs smothered Jacksonville.
• Superior defensive linemen remain a rare breed.
• Jones kept himself in superb condition while losing money during training camp.
• Jones came in sufficiently motivated despite finally agreeing to a deal that didn’t seem to favor him much.
• And the Chiefs won because of his impact on a defense that excelled on the road in hot, humid conditions.
• Although the offense sputtered, we all know Patrick Mahomes is capable of incredible feats.
• His most startling achievement of late is passing Progressive Flo as TV’s most recurring spokesperson.
• Not sure anyone predicted that a new, handsomely-paid right tackle would provide as much intrigue as anyone on the Chiefs roster.
• Seems to me that Eric Bieniemy is a pretty good offensive coordinator. Do the Chiefs miss him?
• The outcome of the Missouri game represents a bad loss for K-State.
• Face it, MU fans chant SEC better than their sports teams identify with the SEC.
• The move to that conference made little sense geographically, as evidenced by the rare sellout against a Big Six and beyond rival Saturday at Faurot Field.
• Oh, except for the SEC money. It’s great and all, but Mizzou has not been a factor in football since Gary Pinkel helped lead the charge to a new conference.
• Maybe this is the Tigers’ year with the SEC looking a bit shaky at the start.